Monday, March 5, 2012

holy yum

     I  just realized this is the first photo I've posted on this blog!  This little bottle is very deserving of some face time, as it has added so much love to my boring old cheese omelet I have most mornings.  I came across this stuff in a paleo recipe, and found it at my local Walmart for next to nothing.  I have always loved the flavor that chipotle peppers bring to recipes, one of my favorites being a dipping sauce for sweet potato wedges (found in the book I referenced in my last post, Paleo Comfort Foods, of which I own the Kindle version).  I've not been posting much of late, as we just switched my son over to a new insulin pump/CGM combo, and I've been working out the kinks.  Namely, he's been running inexplicably high, especially at night, so I've had to go down the line trouble shooting insulin problems, infusion site problems, insulin sensitivity problems, growth spurt induced insulin resistance, pump issues, user error issues, yada yada yada.  FYI for those interested in how this has all worked out, after approximately six consecutive days of dealing with the problem (including lots of sleep disruption), after switching him back to Novolog from Humalog, using his bum instead of his stomach for the infusion site, and having the child do the elliptical machine last night at ten o'clock for 20 minutes (mean mommy, I know), we seem to have resumed normal blood glucose readings.  A huge part of why I'm experimenting with a paleo-ish diet is for my son, Zach.  I am finding that the closer I stick to paleo, the better off we'll be.  For instance, sugar is pretty much frowned upon in paleo circles, but I still make my almond flour brownies about once a week, justifying this because they are made with almond flour instead of wheat, and I do cut back a little on the sugar.  Not.  Good.  Enough.  This week we are going to seriously limit any kind of sweets, probably just having something like a Hershey's kiss now and then to curb the crave to bake a big pan of brownies, or at the most I may try an avocado brownies recipe I came across on chowstalker.com which only uses 1/2 cup of honey as the sweetener, as opposed to 1 cup of sugar.  After I get around to trying it out on my family (on the sly, of course, otherwise my kiddos won't touch it), I'll report back and give the link.  TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment