Tuesday, February 21, 2012

this week's eats

     What's better on a snowy day when the kids are all home from school?  Chicken zoodle soup!  I didn't have any thyme, but the chicken base that I dilute for stock was plenty flavorful, plus I added a couple dashes of crushed red pepper.  Also, I pretty much doubled the amount of broth/stock that the recipe called for, otherwise it was more like stew, and I wanted to have some for leftovers.  My eleven-year old has probably eaten half of what all I made, and even took some to school for his lunch!  I love the idea of the julienned zucchini in place of noodles, and I got to learn how to use the julienne blade on my new food processor, very cool.
     So, this morning I got up early and made another batch of the paleo granola bars, this time with Sunbutter, and they turned out delicious.  They sort of want to fall apart more than last time, perhaps because I was a little short on shredded coconut, but I think if I individually wrap them like before and toss them into the freezer they'll come together better.  I found some interesting websites that tell you how to make homemade coconut milk and flour, if anybody is interested.  Jon (hubby) thinks it sounds like a lot of trouble, but I may experiment with it once to be able to say firsthand whether it's worth the trouble.  You can find the website here.  I do not share her sentiments on other topics, but that is neither here nor there, some of what she has to say is useful.  That is all.  I'm going.  To say.  About.  That.  Without pissing somebody off.
     Since hubby was not here for dinner last night, the boys had cheeseburgers (with buns, they all felt sick later...interesting), baby girl had chicken zoodle soup, and I had these leftovers (which I'd actually made with a cup and half of cooked quinoa since I inadvertently used my cauliflower in another recipe, and that seemed like a good fill-in, which it was!).  Breakfast this morning was bacon and eggs, I'm getting ready to feed them lunch (most likely turkey, cheese, and some fruit), and for dinner tonight I am making the Thai green curry dish I posted about before.  Other meals I've got planned are the sausage and cabbage "noodles," salmon cakes with green bean casserole, without the cracker topping, and probably one of my kids' favorites: bun-less bacon cheeseburgers with the fried apples recipe I mentioned in a previous post.  You literally don't miss the bun, and eat it with a fork and knife like a big juicy steak!  I will probably make Elana Amsterdam's almond flour chocolate chip scones out of her almond flour cookbook (find her here), sans agave nectar, I use sugar instead.  Plain old white sugar, because I will be taking back the bag of evaporated cane juice I just bought at BJ's yesterday (unopened) after reading this, and several other articles.  Hubby has been trying to tell me this, but what can I say other than that I can be gullible?  Trying to be less so, though.
     I have probably linked you to death in this post, and you probably think all I do is pirate other people's creativity, but as a busy mom of four I am more comfortable at this stage of my life with benefitting from the wisdom and know-how of people who have the time and resources to experiment with ingredients to come up with fabulous recipes for the rest of us.  I would much rather eat and enjoy, and still have time to sit on the couch with kids piled all around me while we read together (right now it's the Gregor the Overlander series, we're almost finished with book four!).  Plus, I cite my sources, thus all the links...

No comments:

Post a Comment