Saturday, February 18, 2012

paleo granola bars

     Just so I don't get into any trouble, let me make it clear that I'm not claiming this recipe as my own, as I'll include the link.  I'll just fill you in on how I made these as "shmaleo granola bars," and by all means make these as the recipe calls for.  First, the recipe.  What I did change was I used up the last of some natural peanut butter that I had, my sesame seeds smelled old so I omitted them, and what I had on hand was whole roasted almonds (BJ's), which I pulsed for a bit in the processor along with the pepitos and sunflower seeds.  I used Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips, and the result was so yummy!  I cut them somewhat small, probably 1 1/2 by 3 inches or so, which sounds small but they've got some heft to them.  Also, I was trying to be as economical about the whole production as possible, and I think it made somewhere around 30 bars.  My big boys (11 and 14) requested 2 bars in their school lunches, however, so perhaps I will cut them a little bigger next time.  The size I cut them seemed to have about 15 grams of carbs, because of the honey, mainly, and Zach's blood sugar did well with them.  My oldest, Mychael, said he felt like they gave him more energy (yay!), and my 11-year old, Nathan, said they made him have to use the bathroom (yay for fiber!).  Both loved them, and they are my pickier eaters.  I will probably make one batch a week, but when you consider the cost of other protein bars per weight, I would say this is much more economical.  I did purchase some Sunbutter (Company Shops in Burlington didn't have the organic no sugar added variety, this jar has 7 grams per 2 Tbsp, identical to Skippy peanut butter), which my kids dramatically gag over, but I think I can hide it in these bars and truly make these paleo.  I'll report back on how that goes!
     My sister-in-law reports that the paleo crackers found on the same website as the granola bars are delicious, as well, so I'll be trying that in the near future.  Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment