Wednesday, May 16, 2012

chocolate chip cookies, oh my!

I think that the thing that I would miss most, if I went strictly paleo, which clearly I have not, would be my chocolate chip cookies.  Basically, they are the Toll House recipe with a few tweaks...anyway, I finally came across (and tweaked a little) a recipe that comes pretty stinkin' close, and even passed the kid test!

Almond flour chocolate chip cookies

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups almond flour/meal
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, or really soft (which mine is right now sitting in the pantry with the warmer temps outside)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (don't worry, doesn't make them maple-y!)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips of your choice


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

I pretty much follow how I would do the Toll House recipe, so combine oil, syrup, egg, and vanilla until smooth (I find hand mixing makes them turn out better, personally).  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, them add this to the wet ingredients, combine thoroughly by hand.  Mix in the chocolate chips.  

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then put 2 tbsp size drops of dough a couple of inches apart, you can fit a dozen on a large cookie sheet.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until set and slightly browned at edges.  I smash them flat as soon as they come out.  Cool on wire rack, but they are gooooood warm!

2 comments:

  1. Shannon - we have been trying to get back on the straight and narrow, eating-wise, and I have been reading through your blog again. It is chock full of wonderful stories, recipes and advice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! As you can see, I haven't posted in awhile, you'd think that wouldn't be the case being summer. I am feeling the need to get back on track, myself, and to keep my family on track for Zach's benefit. We are visiting my family in Florida so we've been breaking all of our rules! When we get back to NC I will have to make some posts...

      Delete