Monday, February 25, 2013

update on gluten-free

     Well, I say "gluten-free," but really I mean to compare/contrast eating gluten-free vs. when I had foods containing gluten, and there's no denying that I have a sensitivity.  I did almost a solid 2 weeks of sticking to gluten-free, and during that time I was absolutely without any arthritis, my energy level was at a constant throughout the day, and my skin was clear and non-itchy.  Then, about a week or so ago, I ordered us pizza (planned on getting myself the gluten-free crust but then decided to skip the added expense, plus I wanted to see what happened).  A couple of hours later when Jon and I were watching one of our shows I couldn't stop scratching.
     So, I was good the rest of the week, diligently making myself an omelet when the rest of the family had something containing gluten, making no-flour peanut butter cookies as my treat, feeling great.  Again, no joint pain, great energy level, clear and non-itchy skin, no bloating, etc., but then Saturday night Jon and I went to a tapas/wine bar for a date and I had some of the flatbread.  It was late in the day, and I really didn't notice feeling itchy or anything before going to bed, so I was thinking to myself maybe this had all been in my head.  Still, I was good at breakfast and lunch the next day, but then at dinner I had some cornbread and a piece of the apple pie I'd made, and by bedtime I had a very sore and stiff elbow.  One of my knees was feeling stiff and achy as I walked up and down the stairs, and I was so drowsy it was ridiculous.  Also, I slept terribly, and I have been sleeping great when doing gluten-free (another benefit I forgot to mention).
     It may be too early to say that there is a correlation between my eating and my symptoms, but to me it seems undeniable.  I am motivated once again to move back to a more paleo diet for my whole family (after agreeing to still make my waffle recipe once a week, which I won't eat, but Jon loves too much for me to paleo-ize it).  I made myself some paleo pancakes Saturday morning when I made waffles for my nephews and the rest of the family.  I put an egg, a banana, and 1 tbsp of almond flour in the food processor, then made a bunch of little pancakes.  First I did sugar-free syrup, then I decided they were better with a little honey.  I will continue to tweak that recipe a bit to make the pancakes turn out a little heartier, but there is potential.  I am fine with trying weird things, especially if I know it's healthier for me.  I think it depends on your relationship with food...if it's a huge source of pleasure for you and you have strong likes and dislikes, then making changes might come harder.  If you find eating healthy to be rewarding and enjoy experimenting then all of this is not only easy but fun!  My oldest has always given me the most resistance, been the least likely to be on board with trying out new and healthier variations on recipes, but just this morning he said he'd like to try gluten-free.  Ladies and gentlemen, I may have a convert!
     I'm not going to be 100% paleo, I can't afford it nor do I want to be back to being in the kitchen cooking three meals a day plus homemade snacks.  We'll be doing lots of Greek yogurt, and much more in the way of vegetables.  Not going to eliminate dairy as of yet, although I could easily switch to almond milk myself.  I would like to try to get everyone eating almond butter instead of peanut butter, need to find a crunchy version if it exists.  I just have to think that as good as I've felt doing gluten-free, maybe a few other changes will be all the better!
     Interestingly, since mentioning my experiment with eating gluten-free on Facebook, and consequently bringing up paleo again, I've had several friends ask about recipes.  I wanted to compile a list of my favorite recipes and/or websites, so here are a few:


  • everydaypaleo.com
  • Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook (find on Amazon)
  • stiritup.me
  • keepitsimplekeepitfresh.blogspot.com
  • comfybelly.com (her banana bread is my fave)
  • themeanestmomma.com (her chicken zoodle soup is a favorite around here)
  • http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/05/04/almond-flour-chocolate-chip-cookies/ (my favorite cookie recipe, I usually double)
I have already provided links to some different recipes in previous posts, please check them out.  There are so many fabulous paleo blogs now that you literally won't know where to begin, but have fun searching, I sure have!  Sometimes I've merely taken a family favorite recipe and tweaked it to make it lower carb, like substituting some sautéed cabbage instead of pasta or rice, or just skipping a starch altogether (except beans, we still do beans for now).  Add simple salad where you would have had rice or potatoes.  Do two vegetables instead.  Make vegetable-laden soups that are rich in flavor.  Anyway, I need to get to homeschooling this dreary Monday morning, I hope this has been helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment